Mental Illness Information and Support
- National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) New York State Chapter: http://www.naminys.org/
- National Institute on Mental Health (NIDA). Fact sheet on the number of Americans with mental illness: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/the-numbers-count-mental-disorders-in-america/index.shtml
- Web site for Veterans Affairs mental health home page with available services for former and current military personnel: http://www.mentalhealth.va.gov/
Information on Mental Illness
- NAMI HelpLine: The Information HelpLine is an information and referral service which can be reached by calling 1 (800) 950-NAMI (6264), Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.- 6 p.m., EST or by email at email@example.com
LifeNet: Part of NYC's efforts to provide around-the-clock help for those in a crisis.
Call 1-800-LIFENET (1-800-543-3638). Visit the website for detailed information on how to get help in various language and situations.
Related to NAMI strengthofus.org targets young adults struggling with mental illness. Provides forums, blogs, and links to social media sites do decrease isolation among teens and young adults.
National Institute on Mental Health (NIMH) Good resource for everyone affected by mental illness, for themselves or someone they love. Provides up-to-date information on diagnosis, symptoms, latest advances in treatment. Because education is the first step in recovery.
Online Mental Health Support
RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network): http://www.rainn.org
For victims and survivors of sexual trauma RAINN provides two important services: national sexual assault phone hotline 800-656-HOPE (4673) and National Sexual Assault Online Hotline, which provides real-time crisis counseling in via Instant Messaging. Both services are staffed by trained volunteers around the clock.
Support Groups for Families Affected by Addiction and Alcoholism
- AL-ANON family groups: http://www.al-anon.alateen.org
- AL-ANON and AL-ATEEN New York chapter: http://nycalanon.org
- National Council Alcohol and Drug Dependence family page: http://www.ncadd.org/index.php/for-friends-and-family
- NAR-ANON groups: http://nar-anon.org/naranon
- Recovering Couples Anonymous (RCA) world wide: http://www.recovering-couples.org
- AAGrapevine, The International Journal of Alcoholics Anoynmous: http://www.aagrapevine.org/